When I am afraid
I will trust in you,
I will trust in you,
I will trust in you.
When I am afraid
I will trust in you,
in God whose word I praise.
In God I trust, when I am afraid.
In God I trust, in God whose word I praise
(Steve Green)
This scripture in Psalm 56 does not say IF I am afraid, but WHEN I am afraid. Trusting God is a ACTION. Something we have to actively work to do. We have to PUT our trust in Him. We have to THINK on Him, PRAISE Him, TRUST Him! When I am afraid, sometimes the most I can get out is to sing these simple two verses from Scripture that Steve Green put to music. I am reminding myself of WHO my God is & reminding myself how small whatever the circumstance is in comparison to the POWER of my God!!!
Praise always seems to be an antidote for anxiety. When I was younger and would sing the song, about bringing a sacrifice of praise, I really am not sure that I understood that praising God, at times, would be a sacrifice. But it is! I am called to praise Him. A lot of times I may not “feel” like praising Him. But when I turn my heart towards His and I begin to praise Him, He is glorified and I am reminded over and over again of the character of God!
There are so many self help groups, books and counselors. This world is searching for peace, searching for hope, searching for who they can find shelter under when they are afraid. I have found that the scripture is FULL of TRUTH that brings life to my soul when I am afraid. After my grandmother died in my arms three years ago my heart ached so bad I did not know how I was going to make it another step. The grief I felt was deeper than I even knew my heart was able to grieve. I ached to the deepest core of my soul.
It was then that I realized that the only words that were not empty and meaningless were those that I found in Scripture. I got a journal and as I read God’s Word, I would write down those Scriptures that began to breathe life back into my broken heart. The act of writing them out, was for me, a sacrifice of praise. Then that same journal during moments when I was afraid I could not take another step reminded me of the God I served, the God I loved, the God who had changed my heart, the God who had been the God of my grandmother, the God who I knew was preparing me in the midst of my grief to be able to comfort others who were grieving.
In this journal I didn’t write any of my own words, with the exception of the date I read a certain verse. I wanted God's Word to speak to me without the clutter of my thoughts.
Words of Life ~ I hope these Words of Life will speak to you and that you may be able to add to these more verses that speak life to your soul! This is only scratching the surface of the Scripture I have written out. It would be awesome if you added scripture that has been helpful to you as you fight against fear ~ put the verse and the reference as a comment to encourage others….
The Word of the Lord does not return void! May we be daughters of Sarah, who do was is right & do not give way to fear!
2 Corinthians 3:4-5 And we have such trust through Christ toward God. Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as being from ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God!
Colossians 3:15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to that which you were also ye were called in one body, and be thankful.
Colossians 4:5-6 Conduct yourself wisely toward outsiders making the best use of the time. Let your speech always be gracious seasoned with salt.
Deuteronomy 10:12 “And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God require of you, but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all His ways, to love Him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul…”
Deuteronomy 31:8 “It is the Lord who goes before you, He will be with you; He will not fail you, or let your go or forsake you; fear not, neither become broken in spirit.”
Ephesians 3:20 “Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us.”
Galatians 4:7 So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir!
Genesis 15:1 “Fear not, Abram, I am your shield; your reward shall be very great.”
Genesis 5:20 “….you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good…”
Haggai 2:4-5 “Be strong all you people of the land, declares the Lord, ‘and work. For I am with you. And My spirit remains among you. Do not fear.”
Hebrews 5:7-10 During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, He offered up prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and He was heard because of his reverent submission. Although He was a son, He learned obedience from what he suffered and, once made perfect, He became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey Him.
I John 4:18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
Isaiah 26:12 Lord, You establish peace for us; all that we have accomplished you have done for us!
Isaiah 26:3-4 You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in You. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord is the rock eternal.
Isaiah 30:15 In quietness and confidence shall be your strength!
Isaiah 41:10 “fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand!”
Isaiah 43:1 “Fear not for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name, you are Mine!”
Isaiah 43:2-3,5 “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. For I am the Lord your God, the Hold One of Israel, your Savior. Fear not, for I am with you; I will bring your offspring from the east and from the west I will gather you.”
Isaiah 59:1 Surely the arm of the Lord is not too short to save nor His ear too dull to hear.
Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you, ‘ declares the Lord,’ plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future!”
Jeremiah 32:27 “I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for Me?”
John 16:33 I have told you these things, so that in my you may have beach. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world!
Matthew 22:37 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor ass yourself.
Philippians 3:13-14 I concentrate on this: I leave the past behind and with hands outstretched to whatever lies ahead. I go straight for the goal ~ my reward ~ the honor of being called by God in Christ!
Phillipians 4:19 And my God will meet all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus.
Proverbs 16:9 “The heart of the man plans his ways, but the Lord establishes his steps.”
Psalm 107:29-30 He makes the storm a calm, so that the waves there of are still. Then are they glad because the waters were quiet.
Psalm 23:4 “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff they comfort me.”
Psalm 23:6 “Surely, goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever!”
Psalm 29:11 The Lord will give strength unto His people; the Lord will bless His people with peace.
Psalm 46:10 Be still and know that I am God!
Psalm 56:3 “When I am afraid I put my trust in You. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; in
shall not be afraid!”
Psalm 59:16 Thou hast been my defense and refuge in the day of my trouble.
Psalm 62:8 Trusts in Him at all times; ye people, pour out your hearts before Him; God is a refuge for us.
Psalm 73:26 “My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.”
Psalm 79:13 From generation to generation we will recount your praise.
Psalm 94:18-19 “When I said, ‘My foot is slipping; your love, O Lord, supported me. When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul.”
Romans 8:15 “For you did nor receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, Abba Father!”
Romans 8:38-39 “For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor heights, nor depths, nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment